Galle Fort was one of our favorite places to explore in Sri Lanka. This cute old town is a leftover of the colonial era of the dutch. Today it is a colorful and beautiful little town with lovely restaurants and shops where we had so much fun to stroll through the streets and discover every corner. In this post, we’re going to show you our top things to do in Galle Fort to make your visit a memorable stay.
Where to stay in Galle Fort
We stayed at the exceptional Bartizan Galle Fort, which is close to the cute streets of the city center and only a 2 min walk from the famous lighthouse. The house was built in the 17th century during the colonial rule of the dutch. The rooms are lovelily furnished, breakfast is served in the beautiful courtyard, and they have a rooftop terrace where we enjoyed the sunset and had some tea and cake.
Top things to do in Galle Fort
Visit the Lighthouse
A must-do in Galle Fort is visiting the famous lighthouse and enjoy the view. We went there in the morning, so we had the place to ourselves, and it was lovely. You find the lighthouse at the eastern end of the town. Only a few minutes walk from the center.
Stroll through the streets of the Fort
The Fort is a place where you can let yourself drift and discover cute spots around every corner. We loved to spend some time strolling through the streets and enjoy the vintage vibes. The architecture is a leftover of the colonial rule of the dutch. Therefore, there are many beautiful old buildings like the Dutch Hospital, which today is a spot with shops and cute cafés.
Shopping in Galle Fort
There are many cute little shops where you can do a little shopping for a gift for your loved ones or maybe for a beautiful ring as a memory for yourself. Sri Lanka is famous for its gemstones, and in Galle Fort, there are the best Gemstone shops where you can buy beautiful handmade Jewelry.
Our favorite shops are:
- Stick no Bills: Amazing postcards and posters from different talented artists
- Stolen Paradise: Clothing for men and women designed in Australia, produced locally in Sri Lanka
- Barefoot: Everything from clothing to homewares, ethically and locally produced – great for gifts
- EcoMaximus Galle: Paper goods made from elephant dung
- Mimimango: Handmade clothing and Accesoires and has a cute café too
Where to eat in Galle Fort
There are many lovely cafés and restaurants in Galle Fort. The following are your favorites:
- Poonie’s Kitchen: A beautiful spot in the courtyard of the Mimimango shop. Perfect for lunch with great vegan options.
- Lucky Fort Restaurant: Cute little restaurant which serves delicious Sri Lankan curry.
- The Fort Bazaar: A beautiful boutique hotel with a nice restaurant. Perfect for a fancy date night.
- Prince of Galle: Cute balcony to enjoy a glass of wine with live piano music in the evenings.